Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thoughts on Presentations...




I found Kyle's study of lucid dreaming to be very interesting. Part of the reason that I was able to find it so interesting was that I found it could be closely tied to my own topic of mobility in dreams. One of the claims I make in my paper was that dreams are most often "recollected" rather than experienced as if they were present. Kyle's discussion of lucid dreaming really got me thinking if lucid dreams are the sort of answer I was searching for. Could lucid dreams be what I was trying to get at? It seems highly likely. One of the most intriguing things that Kyle said was that usually trying to lucid dream, the dreamer may wake up. Possibly then, what is important is to be able to actively lucid dream without actually waking up. If people commonly wake up right after attempting to lucid dream, it seems possible then that lucid dreaming and actual reality are very closely . One of the terms that come to mind is that of the "twilight state"-- the state of mind that one is in minutes before actually falling asleep. If the lucid dream is an experience closely tied to reality with an emphasis on the dream, then the "twilight state" seems to be an experience that has emphasis placed on reality.
People often find didactic value in these type of states. I would say that many types of meditation are dream-like in a way. Also, in the movements of the 1960's, people took drugs as an attempt to go into a dream-like world in which they would learn the greater truths. It can be surely asserted that dreams and being awake have much in common and that understanding one of these will lead to better understanding of the other.

No comments: