Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Musing about term paper topic...

I believe that in this class we have asserted that 'play' of children isn't completely physical and it isn't completely contained in texts. We have taken . The aspect of child's games that are especially intriguing to me is the notion that these games have a didactic value to them. A child 'playing' in one of these games often merges the physical with the 'textual'. Is the state of being a child the beginnings of the time in which children as people are beginning to understand the ongoing "human narrative"? Since children's lit. reveals the archetypes of humanity more clearly than more 'adult' texts, are children better masters of 'knowing' these archetypes? I guess, the topic that I'm musing around is the notion of the concept of 'play' being a combination of 'physical' and 'textual' elements. It's almost as if children playing are like the theater without the 'adult' notion that what they are doing is performing something that is not 'real'. This brings in the idea of children seeing the world in metaphors and not in similes. They are not acting "like" a character in another reality, they "are" a character in another reality.

Please tell me if I am off-base Dr. Sexson, although I believe I am getting closer and closer to a topic for our 3-100 page paper.

No comments: