Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Allusion to Fairy Tales on ESPN

I was watching ESPN at work the other day and I was shocked to hear a comparison one of the broadcasters made. While talking about a football coach in the NFL he interjected the phrase "the emperor has no clothes." I was shocked, for at this time, Children's Lit. wasn't really on my mind. I was thinking about football and not fairy tales. I won't go into the details of the story, but it essentially comes down to a coach trying to remain in control of his team after the loss of his star quarterback. This sportscaster made the connection from professional football to a child's story. To me that was simply astounding and further validated that all stories are fairy tales. This got me thinking about other things like that. On a political note that makes me wonder about the phrase "stay the course" in regards to the Iraq war (something which I'm sure somebody has considered). Does that emperor also have no clothes? I won't interject my opinion and will leave that up to you to decide. It is extremely fascinating to see how fairy tales do function in the "real world." After having people read them in class it seems easier to understand how every story is a fairy tale.

No comments: